The airfield was first used before the First World War, initially for balloon operations. Aircraft were flown by the Royal Flying Corps, also before the First World War. The RFC became the Royal Air Force in 1918. In the Second World War the airfield was RAF Netheravon and was home to 296 and 297 squadrons.
The airfield is claimed to be the longest continuously operated airfield in the world and is now operated by 7 Regt AAC(V) of the Army Air Corps as AAC Netheravon.
The camp is also used as a parachute centre, on weekdays for the Joint Service Parachute Centre (JSPC) and at the weekends for the Army Parachute Association (APA).